Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Affirmative Action President?

Recently I had the pleasure of engaging a dear friend of mine on Facebook regarding an article she read. She wanted my opinion, the opinion of an African-American who has a opposition to our current commander in chief, which some consider rare since the going consensus is that "we" all support him because of his race.

This article suggested that Obama was voted in because it was about time to allow a leader of color to show us what they've got. The "change" Americans needed was to bring hope into the eyes of many after the tyranny of our preceding leader. Without putting further words in the mouth of my fellow journalist, you can read Matt Patterson's article here. Without infringing on my fellow commentators right to privacy, here's what I had to add to this controversial opinion.

  • "I have to agree with this article and remained steadfast that he is not what people claim him to be and because of my current circle of associates, all but one see why I choose not to engage others on my moot point.

    Yes he speaks eloquently, my first “ho-hum”; so can I when I choose to. I wonder what would happen if Obama had a fly zoom into his mouth during one of his speeches. He’s slipped up before and eloquently explained it away.

    Sadly, I can affirm that every tactic he used to win his presidency I’ve used to usher myself into employment. The difference between he and I, I used it to acquire a position that I could meet and often exceed in my objectives.

    Funny thing is, I used to be openly Republican in thought and could justify my positon until one of my closest friends ripped me a new one for admitting this. I’m not an “Uncle Tom” but I know that the current state of African Americans will not and cannot be fixed by offering a hand out, well at least to those who don’t stand a chance. I know we can do better as a race.

    I will also admit that I’m “pro” affirmative action only because of the existence of opportunity barriers in some environments where qualified minorities are overlooked because of social stereotypes. I walked in these shoes and witnessed the lesser qualified chosen because of the “old boys club”. Of course I shrug and move on because I wouldn’t want to work somewhere I’m not wanted; my zero tolerance for ignorance would have me fired on the first day.

    I actually put it out there that I wanted Donald Trump to run and lost a few FB friends over it. I doubt he would last because the bullshit of government would repel him super fast.

    A woman needs to win, a great one; why? Because of our natural ability to run and control everything."

    What do you think?


No comments: