Saturday, December 25, 2010

See It Because I Said So


GOSSIP

2000, R Rating, 90 minutes


Cast:James Marsden, Kate Hudson, Lena Headey, Joshua Jackson, Sharon Lawrence, Marisa Coughlan

Director: Davis Guggenheim
Genres: Thrillers,
Psychological Thrillers, Mystery, Suspense,



At first, allow me digress. Now of course for this movie I may be a bit late but for these blog posts, I will review old and new movies and sometimes episodes or series that are on television or the internet. My critiques/reviews will seldom include plot spoilers of any kind and if I choose to divulge crucial plot information, it will most likely be in the comment threads. If I divulge in the blog entry, it will be because I want to identify a specific subject that I just cannot hold back on.

Well although there are many that frown on the concept of gossiping especially in personal circles, places of business and social cliques, this film gives a perspective of how gossip dictates a large percentage of our society and displays a convoluted scenario that I am crazy enough to assume someone may have actually experienced. Come to think of if, now that I have seen this movie, I wonder if there is a percentage of "I didn't do it" inmates that are gossip victims.

The films primary setting is a loft that deserves the envy of those who wish they lived in it, houses three college roommates, Derrick Webb (James Marsden), Cathy Jones (Lena Headey), and Travis (Norman Reedus). Derrick, the lead male, leads a lifestyle that I could only revel in a hacked version of my "The Sims" game. The opulence of his life leaves him a young, rich, generous, intelligent, jaded cynic who keeps his two selected roommates indulging in his carefree, careless lifestyle.

These roommates also share a common Communications class which after a lecture on gossip, they chose to combine efforts to deliver a final project on the topic of gossip and the effect it has on it’s subjects by starting a rumor and tracking the results.

The delivery of the subject of gossip has me thinking twice about sharing anything with anyone without expecting it to stay just between us. The very nature of gossip beginning with the initial recipient of confidence, makes me recognize that nothing should be repeated if you do not expect it to be shared. It’s like now I have to just take it in the chin and know that whoever I share something with, that information is not immune from the “Six Degrees” theory. If I share information, my intention is only to get the perspective of someone I trust with information that was given to me from someone who trusted me. So it really boils down to identifying those you trust and who they trust and if you can trust them. Forgive me for this one, remember I did say that the scenario is convoluted.

The actors did an awesome job and the writers get my bravo on putting together a script that will capture its target audiences interest. It’s decadent and intese delivery can be appreciated by the Shaynenay’s & Treyshawns to the Constnace’s & Trevor’s. “Gossip” shows that those who choose to engage in it should perhaps give the six degrees web an acute analysis before deciding to get tangled in it. It also draws attention to the premise that rumors have an intention and if a disastrous reaction occurs, it's likely giving great pleasure to at least one person included in it. So if that floats your boat, this movie is a great tool to apease your guilty pleasure. If it doesn't, stick around, there's something in this movie for you too.

No comments: